How To Identify And Get Rid Of A Rat Infestation On Your Rockwall Property
August 05, 2022 - Rats
Rodents are a common pest that plague Rockwall residents. Rodents are mammals with distinctive front teeth that never stop growing. Rodents include such animals as squirrels, beavers, and rats. Of all the animals in the rodent family, rats are the most frequent home invader.
There are over 50 types of rats worldwide, with roof rats and Norway rats being the two prevalent species in Rockwall. Roof rats are sometimes referred to as ship rats or black rats. Roof rats are dark, long, and thin; from pointy nose to tail, they average 16 inches in length. Norway rats are larger than roof rats and have shorter tails. They are brown and black with bristly hair and small facial features.
Roof rats and Norway rats are omnivorous, meaning they eat meat and plants. They will eat anything, even items without nutritional value. Rats are social animals and prefer to live together. While roof rats and Norway rats are nocturnal, roof rats prefer to live higher up in attic spaces, and Norway rats prefer to live low down in basements.
How To Tell If It's Rats On Your Property
Knowing what these rodents look like is only half the battle. Homeowners should keep an eye out for signs of rats around their Rockwall property to keep potential infestations from growing. Some red flags that you may have a rat problem are as follows:
- Damaged electrical wires and equipment from rats chewing through wires.
- Scratching, scuffling, or gnawing sounds come from within wall cavities or the attic.
- Rat droppings in or around the home. Fresh rat droppings are soft, moist, and dark, while older droppings are hard and dry. Droppings appear like small pellets; roof rat droppings have pointed ends, and Norway rat droppings have blunt ends.
- Damaged furniture and gnaw marks on baseboards.
- Grease marks left behind from oily fur rubbing against doorways, halls, and walls.
These are all significant signs that rats have moved into your Rockwall home. Remaining vigilant and aware can ensure that the rats are taken care of swiftly.
The Damage And Dangers Rats Can Create
Rats can cause a lot of damage to your property. They are incessant chewers as their front teeth constantly grow. By chewing as much as possible, rats essentially file their teeth to keep them a manageable size for their mouths. Rats often chew through wires, plaster, piping, wood, and plastic. This chewing can cause leaks, electrical fires, and structural instability.
In addition to the property damage that rats can cause, they also contaminate food and carry a lot of communicable illnesses. Diseases rats carry include bubonic plagues, typhus, rat-bite fever, and salmonellosis.
Five Simple Ways To Prevent Future Rat Infestations
The best way to control rats on your Rockwall property is to prevent them from entering the property in the first place. A few simple steps any homeowner can employ to keep rats away include:
- Seal holes and cracks with silicone-based caulk or metal sheeting. Rats can fit through openings as small as a quarter! Plugging these holes can physically prevent rats from entering your home.
- Keep trees and shrubs trimmed back from your house so they cannot act as a ladder for rats.
- Keep food in airtight containers and avoid leaving food scraps or fallen fruit outside.
- Store firewood as far from the house as possible, as these piles can act as nesting sites.
- Eliminate access moisture and standing water.
These tips will keep rats from being attracted to your Rockwall property to ensure an infestation does not begin.
The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Rats On Your Property
If an infestation is already underway on your property, the only way to get rid of rats is to work with a pest control expert. Look no further than A Better Earth Pest Control for pest control in Rockwall. We believe in offering superior customer service matched with customized pest treatments that do not harm the environment. For pest control that you can trust, call A Better Earth Pest Control today!